Singapore is a safe country for outdoor activities. However, it is still necessary to take safety precautions when engaging in outdoor activities.
These are some general tips:
(A) Preventing Injuries
Remember, you are taking part in this race at your own time and place. Make sure that you are medically fit to participate in the race. Please take care to prevent potential injuries with the following tips:
- Plan your route. Check if there are toilets and water stops available along the route in case you need them.
- Meals should be consumed at least 2 to 3 hours before any physical activity.
- Warm up before any physical activity. A good warm up routine prepares your body and prevents injuries.
- Wear appropriate attire to prevent injuries.
- Stay hydrated. Remember to consume water in small amounts before, during and after the physical activity. Singapore is hot and humid. It is important to replace the water lost through sweat to prevent conditions such as unitary tract infections, stress, headaches or heat stroke. By the time we feel thirsty, we can already be dehydrated.
- Replace the electrolytes lost through sweating with isotonic packs, sports water or salt tablets if exercising for more than 90mins to help your body retain fluids and prevent muscle cramps.
- Put on a cap, sunglasses and some sunblock if you are going out for a physical activity under the sun.
- Listen to your body. Rest if feeling unwell.
- Cool down and stretch after your physical activity.
- In line with Ministry of Health’s advisory, participants are advised to avoid strenuous physical activities such as running for one week after your first and second vaccination doses.
(B) Safe Distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19
Remember, if you are going out for any physical activities, please be socially responsible and follow the safe management measures:
- Participants engaging in sports and physical exercises should observe all safe management measures as stipulated by Sport Singapore.
- Please visit https://safedistparks.nparks.gov.sg/ to check on the Park Status or Visitor-ship Status of the parks before you go. Please avoid crowded places and choose a time when there are fewer people at the venue of your choice.
(C) Stay Safe when heading out for long distances physical activity alone
Please remember to undertake safety precautions when heading out for your physical activity. Bring the following items along for your activity:
- Water (preferably in refillable bottles) to stay hydrated
- Isotonic packs or drinks or salt tablets
- Energy gels/bars or some easy-to-bring-along snacks that can give you an energy boost such as bananas, nuts, sweet potatoes and jellies
- Smartphone (to record your activity, use as e-wallet for purchases at a nearby F&B outlet/convenience store if necessary, and in case of emergencies if you need to contact anyone)
- Power bank/spare phone battery and charging cable (in case you run out of battery on your smartphone)
- GPS-enabled smartwatch (if you prefer to record your runs using your smartwatch and sync your runs to the app after reaching home)
- Caps/sunglasses/cooling sleeves/sunblock if you are going to be under the sun for a long period of time
- Some cash (not too much) for urgent purchases at a nearby F&B outlet/convenience store, if necessary, to replenish your water and energy.
- Remember to stop for a break if you are feeling unwell at any point in time.
Avoid routes/areas that are too secluded, quiet or dark, early in the morning or late at night.
- Bring along a headlamp if you are heading out to these areas in the dark.
- Wear bright and/or reflective apparel or apparel with reflective strips.
- Be careful and stay alert to your surroundings, and do not plug in your earphones/headphones.
- Bring along a noisemaker if you have one.
- Proceed to bright and open places with people immediately if you sense anything wrong in your surroundings.